Friday, January 14, 2011

Southern France 2007

I constructed one journal before I left for France and two more book structures after my return.
This journal below I took with me. It is 9 1/4 inches wide and 15 1/2 inches high. What was I thinking! What a boat anchor to be lugging around! But it gave me lots of space to glue portions of brocures and write lots of commentary. 

I used leather scrap from a remnant store for the spine and tie strip.

The pages are 140 lb. Fabriano hot press. Nice and smooth for writing and still great for watermedia.




The photo album below is 7 3/8 inches wide by 11 1/2 inches high. A somewhat easier size to carry in a travel bag.  It is similar in style to the journal above. The sections were spaced far enough apart to accommodate the insertion of the photos, or in the case above, brochure clippings, ticket stubs, etc.



I decided early on that it was easier to determine the book size based on how the paper tore down. It eliminated a lot of page measuring and cutting.  I basically fold and tear until I have the size I want, which is usually 7 1/2 by 11 1/2 or 5 3/4 by 7 3/4.  I leave a small margin of cover overlaping the pages. That's just my preference. The pages are 140 lb but I don't remember who the manufacturer is.


And the final book.......



This one is 4 3/8 by 6 3/8.  The cover paper is of a crumpled map.



The little France sign hangs from fishing line which is hardly noticeable and keeps the sign from getting lost.


You can see that there are six envelopes. These hold post cards and 4x6 inch photos. They are sewn into concertina folds. This design is a spinoff from a concertina workshop that I took with Daniel Kelm at Garage Annex School in Easthampton, Massachusetts.



Little paper "buttons" and thin, waxed linen thread hold the envelope flaps down. The "buttons" and envelopes, by the way, are made from manilla file folders.

.....fini..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment